Monday, December 21, 2009

Perspective

I suppose it’s about time for me to mention why there haven’t been any training posts here lately.  I had some bloodwork done at iNewMed at the end of the season and figured out that I’m basically overcooked in a few different ways.  They advised me to take the rest of the year off.  And so I am doing that.  Taking time off.  Not training.  I can’t recall the last time that I took more than a few days off.  Even my attempts at “end of season breaks” have always been more like recovery weeks than complete weeks off.  So this is a new experience.

I have to say, it hasn’t been anywhere near as bad as I would have expected.  I’m not going crazy.  In fact, it is actually rather pleasant to be able to sleep in, work more and go out more, all at the same time! 

But I am very much looking forward to getting back into my regular routine on January 1st.  I’ll be focusing on ITU Continental Cup racing in 2010 with a goal of getting enough points to earn my first World Cup start at Huatulco in November.  That in turn is a critical step towards Olympic Eligibility in 2012.  The exact details of the Olympic selection process are still in the works, at the ITU and USA levels … but it is clear that the first step is to get into the top 140-150 on the ITU points list and/or the Olympic Qualification points list.

I am hoping that this extra-long end-of-season break proves to be the Secret Ingredient that was missing from my approach in the past!

No comments:

Post a Comment