Monday, June 29, 2009

Philly Tri

PhillyTri This morning I raced in the Philadelphia Triathlon, a non-drafting Olympic Distance event.  I got dropped from the lead pack early on in the swim and exited with David Thompson and the Wassner sisters … I got outraced by Nick Waninger on the run for 12th place … but nothing catastrophic happened and I put in a solid effort, so I’m pretty happy with my race.   I also got to meet a lot of my US Pro Tri teammates face-to-face for the first time.

My bike leg wasn’t the black hole that it has been in some other races this year.  While I still have a ways to go, this time around I was able to keep up with some of the guys who caught me. 

I haven’t seen any splits yet but I’ll be curious to see what they have for the run. There were a few intermediate timing mats.  I tried to go out relaxed but there were two guys about 30m ahead. I caught up around mile 1.5.  I was trying to build into my best possible run, but the temptation to race was very high and I decided to counter-attack after one of the runners surged.  I was able to open a 10m gap on both runners but one of them caught me again half a mile later.  We ran together for a bit but he managed to drop me around mile 4.  I think that I passed three guys on the run, but could it have been five if I’d held it together a bit better?

It was fun to race in and near the Schuylkill River again.  Back in high school I was the coxswain for the Thomas Jefferson HS crew team and we raced there in the Stotesbury Cup regatta every year.

The trip as a whole was action-packed but still rather laid back.  I flew in to BWI on Thursday night and stayed with my brother Jon in Arlington that night.  We grabbed late-dinner on Thu and breakfast together on Fri, then I dropped him off at the airport on my way north.  I visited my grandparents in Trexlertown, PA, on Friday night.  My grandfather and I watched the Friday night races at the velodrome.  Saturday night and Sunday morning I hung out with my brother Matt and his girlfriend Annie in Philly.  They drove up from the DC area.

So all in all, a rockin’ time back east.  I should have a few pictures to post in the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment