Saturday, August 25, 2012

Small Construction Project

Back on June 10-11, I finally got started on a project I’d wanted to tackle for quite awhile. My new townhouse complex has two five-car garages that are shared by the ten houses. Each garage locks, but we’ve had very frequent break-ins and have quickly learned that anything not locked/bolted down is likely to disappear, sooner rather than later. After losing a bicycle that was only there for 36 hours, as well as a bike pump and a bike rack in separate incidents, I’d been eager to come up with a more secure way to store my stuff.

I’d talked with my dad and with some friends about possibly building a storage locker or closet downstairs. Other residents had installed cabinets above or in front of their car… but I wanted something big enough to accommodate bikes, and I had some space next to my parking stall. So… dad and I designed a little storage closet, and once we had the design I figured we might as well shop for materials… and once we had materials I figured we might as well start cutting… and once we were cutting, I figured we might as well assemble… and once we had assembled a wall, I figured we might as well install it… so before we knew it, the structure was complete! On the second day we modified and installed a locking door, and the project was complete from design-to-done in maybe 36 hours! Whoop whoop! As mentioned earlier, this project gave me the confidence and inspiration to finally get started on the mutant trike.

Photos:

Home Depot will do up to two custom cuts per piece of wood:

WP_000407 WP_000411

Station wagons are good for hauling stuff, like wood:

WP_000412

Dad’s design had us frame out two walls and then hang plywood on said walls:

WP_000413

Halfway there? the first wall set into place, but not secured. yet.

WP_000416

Construction adhesive to bond our wall to the concrete garage

WP_000419

After we did the adhesive,the house’s builder stopped by with a hammer drill, so we also nailed the walls to the garage walls. Win. This structure is super-strong now. You could climb on it and it won’t move.

WP_000420

The finished product, next to my car. Check out that closet door! How pro is that??

WP_000423

No comments:

Post a Comment