Thursday, February 18, 2010

Making a Fashion Statement

As I may have said previously, this year I am not racing with a triathlon team and am therefore free to make up my own racing kit. Seeing as I am mostly self-funded and that my sponsors don’t have stringent uniform rules, I would like to make up some kind of ridiculously awesome kit to race in this year.

When I race ITU races I will need to wear a kit that complies with their regulations – name and country in a certain place, ITU logo, sponsor logos limited to certain areas, etc. …

run-1

but I don’t think that they have strict rules on what a “sponsor logo” can be.  For example, I could be my own sponsor, a la Will Ferrell in Talladega Nights:

talladega

My buddy Steve and I were joking about whether I could put his name or photograph on my kit in exchange for him giving me some frequent flyer miles, and I don’t see any reason why this isn’t possible.  Or maybe I should work with Bill the Butcher and put a big steak on my kit.

And while ITU racing may be my primary focus in 2010, I will have about half a dozen races that are not ITU races – Pacific Grove, maybe Cap Tex, and any of the local Seattle-area races.  At these non-ITU races I can wear pretty much whatever I want.  Maybe I could take a page out of the Norwegian Curling Team’s book?

norwaypants_wide

Or maybe something a bit more understated, yet still stylish, like the old Garmin-Slipsteam kits:

garmin-argyle

What I do know is that I don’t have a lot of style sense myself, so I need some help from you guys.  Give me some awesome ideas via comments or email.  Anyone whose idea makes it into the kit gets a prize pack including some Endurance Ranch shwag and maybe other assorted shwag from the ol’ Prize Box.

No comments:

Post a Comment